Working from home can seem like a heavenly idea for a Mom -- more time with the children, more control over the calendar, time freedom, money freedom, lifestyle freedom, the potential to earn more money than you can at your current job without huge childcare expenses – are all there for you if you get started. But, there are some things to understand about working from home first.
Here are 7 steps to working from home.
- Find the Right Job or Business – You need to determine if you want to work from home in your own business, or find a job. There are many online type jobs you can get from home if you have the right equipment or you can start a business as a graphic designer, virtual assistant, writer, or other types of business if you have the right skills.
- Inventory Your Skills – It’s always a good idea to figure out what you know vs. what you don’t know. You may figure out that you need training or you may realize you already know how to do what you want to do as your home business.
- Be aware of SCAMS – There are a lot of people out there preying on mothers who want to be with their kids more or are simply desperate to earn more money. Just realize that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Have the right structure and system – There is no reason to reinvent the wheel when you’re starting your own business. The steps are already made. You need to get a license, set up a home office, a financial system and start promoting and marketing your business. You have to be self-motivated and just do it without second-guessing yourself or trying to get around things.
- Network – Tell everyone you know what you’re doing and ask them to introduce you to others who may need what you’re offering. Get online and join groups that consist of your audience and colleagues so that you won’t be alone.
- Pay attention to the pros and cons – Remember that balance isn’t always 50/50, sometimes it’s going to be 60/40 or 70/30 but overall you can ensure that your life adds up to 100 percent positive results. Your family will come first at times, and other times your business will come first. The trick is to figure out needs vs. wants.
- Know your priority – If you want something badly enough you will work toward it. Create a strategy and a plan of action, do your due diligence, and then follow the energy knowing that your research, skills, and can do attitude will ensure that you are successful.
Today, parents who want to stay home with their children find ways to earn money. Most families need two incomes just to survive. But, you can do so much more than just survive if you have a home business. A home business doesn’t have to mean low pay and poverty; it can actually be quite lucrative.